dish

Confessions and Observations of an Online Gossip Junkie

10.25.2004

Don't. cum. yet!

Annoyed by the recent rash of thread-name changing at FT I went to the FTOTZ Pet Peeves thread to see if anyone had a comment. I had already mentioned before how disconcerting it could be when thread names were changed without warning, and I wanted to see if this mass renaming was noticed and if anyone knew why.

A distillation of the conversation in the thread: (Icons used to barely conceal the players)


They replaced “Guess who, don’t sue” with “blind items”. That’s pathetic. That was one of the cleverest thread titles there.


Yeah, they did a whole bunch of them--Online Journals, Scientology--apparently, for the sake of "clarity". But the thing is, "Guess Who, Don't Sue" has been around for as long as I can remember (about 2 1/2 years) and no one has complained about it.

I wonder what's up.


I think because TPTB insisted on giving out warnings for duplicate threads, even though sometimes you search and can't find what you're looking for, they had to make the titles more literal. Which really is a shame. If you've not been around FT long enough to know that blind items are discussed in Guess Who, Don't Sue, you shouldn't be opening threads anyway. Period.


Damn kids need to get off our lawn! *waves cane menacingly*


Well the "Misunderestimate" thread has been changed to "English Language Usage". "Good Movie Manners Cost Nothing" remains unchanged for the mo. I always preferred "Get Your Buttery Hands Off Me" - but that was way back when the thread was for funny incidents.

"Good Movie Manners Cost Nothing" remains unchanged for the mo.

I seem to remember that Wing named it that. Didn't she combine several good and bad movie experience threads together on the old boards, and that's the name she gave the new uber-thread? And then someone just started it with that name again on the new boards. I think.

I'd really laugh if she decided to change that for 'clarity'.

It's really pissing me off - I can see that it does make the content of the threads more obvious, but at the same time she's changing the feel and appearance of the boards to pander to newbies who can't be bothered to click on a title to find out what a thread's about.




She changed the name of the Movie Manners thread on the new boards. I remember this because one of the two threads she merged was mine. I thought the name she chose sucked then and the new names suck now. I can understand her frustration but I agree wth Avocato here. If you haven't figured out the lay of the land at the boards to the extent that you couldn't figure out the Guess Who thread was for blind items, maybe you're not ready to start your own threads. Life would be more enjoyable if she slapped training wheels on the biggest offending premature ejaculators and stopped their thread starting privileges for a month or two.

Unfortunately the new rule at FT seems to be, when starting a thread, make the title as bland and utiltarian as possible.


Life would be more enjoyable if she slapped training wheels on the biggest offending premature ejaculators



Hee. The mixed metaphors here crack me up and make me think of penises with training wheels.


I had to mix. The thought of Wing instructing them on how to think of sports statistics or the Queen of England was making me queasy.


Just lay (lie?) back and think of England, young grasshopper. Or else...

BANNED!!!



Which left me with this disturbing vision in my head:



After I posted it jokingly commented that I should submit it for an FT Pixel challenge. Obviously it's not quite appropriate, but the FTOTZ could probably use its own.

Stay tuned for ideas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home